The European Arrest Warrant shambles is the worst I have seen in 40 years in Parliament

555


The European Arrest Warrant shambles is the worst I have seen in 40 years in Parliament
The European Arrest Warrant shambles is the worst I have seen in 40 years in Parliament


I have deliberately taken my time to try to discover just what led to the extraordinary shambles in the Commons on Monday evening. It was not as simple as a good many observers, and indeed participants, may have initially thought.
What is certain is that the debate was billed as being primarily on the European Arrest Warrant, with a vote on that contentious matter. It was expected that despite a rebellion in the Conservative ranks, the Government would have a comfortable majority with the support of Labour.
The Prime Minister had made much of all this and given his word that there would indeed be a vote on the EAW.
I am sure that was what he intended. I hope that the advice on procedure, which I take it came from the Leader of the House, William Hague, was clear, unambiguous and well researched.
So how did it all go wrong? Whether you believe that it was all a cunning plot by Speaker Bercow to humiliate the Prime Minister and his advisers, or a very astute bit of work by the Opposition, it all finished up as a disaster for the Government.
With all the resources available to the Government it should not have happened. Sadly it looks like yet another failure to thoroughly discuss and explore the possible hazards of what might initially sound like a good idea.
I cannot believe that either the Prime Minister or indeed his colleagues would have set out to deprive the Tory backbenchers of the vote they had been promised.
After all, the Government did have a reasonable case that the EAW was an essential defence for us against organised crime and terrorism and that its worst features, which have allowed disgraceful treatment of British citizens, had been put right.
In the event that argument was obscured by the mess, muddle and chaos of the evening, which was clearly enjoyed by both the Opposition and the Speaker.
At present I assume that the Opposition will stand by their undertaking to use their Supply Day (when they can choose the subject for debate) next Wednesday for the debate which should have taken place on Monday night.
The timing would be perfect for them if they wish to maximise the Ukip vote in the by-election the following day. Indeed the big gainer from the shambles must already be Nigel Farage.
In all the 40-odd years that I have been in Parliament I do not think I have ever witnessed such a shambles. Indeed, having intended to be in the House to support the Government on Tuesday evening, I simply picked up my bags, left the building and came home.

I was concerned that sodit and others had experienced some difficulty in finding my blog (or comment) on the Telegraph site. I find the easiest route is to ask Google for Telegraph Blogs and then look for my name.
Alternatively if you go to Telegraph Comment, my name is listed amongst my colleagues in a panel on the right of the page.
A number of you, including ukipifyouwantto expressed the view that a paralysed government would be no bad thing. I think that is a superficial view. Someone has to ensure that we have an effective police force, that the hospitals and schools are staffed, roads provided and our armed forces maintained. That is not compatible with paralysis, as I think aussie digger agreed.
There was a laugh to be had at the expense of Haloge who defended his view that Churchill wanted the UK to be part of a European Union by quoting Ted Heath. I am afraid that he, Haloge that is, has now become yet another 'tis 'taint bore. Like poor FabianSolutions he is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
There was a lot of good discussion on the difficulties of calculating the economic effects of large scale immigration. As ever, I should say that we do benefit from the immigration of highly skilled people from all over the world. I have only to look around the House of Lords at our distinguished doctors from overseas to see that.
However as Martin Adamson, english pensioner, bersher, MangoBCoconut, scary teacher, Taylor and Peter all noted it is much more complicated that just adding up wages and taxes.
I was sorry that my comments about Vladimir Putin were rather misunderstood, particularly by drjonathanwilson. I do not find him an attractive man. Both Scrudge and HelloOldSausage made interesting points and I think that rapscallion got it about right. However as I have written in the past, I have a good deal of sympathy for Russians who resent what they see as the annexation of what were once parts of Russia itself, into the EU and thereafter, they fear, into Nato.
I hope that colliemum, who assured me that Hillary Clinton has no chance of becoming President, is right, and as always I read what bersher had to say on that and much else with great interest, particularly on the American practice of paralysis of government.
It was brave of cartimundua to defend feminists by saying that the media ignored their efforts to raise the issues of FGM, Rochdale, sex selective abortion and the like. Brave but ill-judged. Have a look at the record of the feminist websites. There was not a lot there for the media to report.
I was sad to read the comments of grumpy old ben and others about Sajid Javid. There are not many men as able as Javid in the Commons, nor indeed many who have given up jobs worth £4 million a year to "repay the debt his family owe this country for giving shelter" to his father.
I have to disagree with grumpyoldben who declared that Thatcher had befouled the Conservative Party doorstep and made them unelectable. Do look at the figures. At her third consecutive election victory after eight years in office she polled 13.8 million votes, a few more than at her first. Major succeeded her and scored over 14 million thee years later.
As for poor Jim Clark who had to have a sneer at the payments made to Members of The Lords, he can see what I claim and I can tell him it is less than the combined costs of my secretary and those of attending the House.
Finally, thank you all who sent good wishes to both me and my wif.

Forom : http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés